May 03, 2019

Are Kids Growing Up Too Fast?

As I’ve grown up my dad has told me stories of when he was my age. It really annoys me because it’s usually due to the fact that he is trying to make a point to me. His stories of childhood are very interesting and it seems like such a simpler time. Little to no technology, big open fields, school, homework, then play, that’s it. Nowadays though, are kids growing up too fast?

Well, yes. As kids reach their “tween” years they start to act more like teens. This means more in their phones and more and more attitude. I’ve definitely noticed this in my sister, and I have to say I think a lot of it has to do with her phone. I got my first phone in 6th grade and social media way later than even that. She got her phone when she was like 8 years old, though.

It’s not all just phones however. It’s also everything you hear and see on a daily basis. When you turn in the radio you hear songs about love or breakups and topics like sex or depression that I really had no idea about at her age but that she knows about. It’s crazy to me that you can turn on your television and a super sexual commercial can be playing. Media is filtered, but so much less now. This is causing kids to grow up way faster.

This does not mean that kids shouldn’t learn about these things or about responsibility, it just means that it is speeding up so much you have to ask yourself, “How far will this go?”

Social media is everywhere nowadays and while there are lots of good parts it also exposes a lot which takes some getting used to.

1 comment:

  1. I also believe that technology and media ruins many childhoods. Great point!

    ReplyDelete